Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sindiika

I helped deliver a baby today! They do their delivery maneuvers differently here than in the states so I was guided by a midwife. I'm happy to say the mom did not have any tears and had a healthy baby boy :) Sindiika means "push" in Luganda. Also! Another woman delivered a boy with polydactyly today (twelve fingers and toes)! She has the condition and as an autosomal dominant trait so all her children should have some form of it. I'd never seen anything like that before.



Here's a picture of the entire labor ward. There are about 12 beds total in this area.


An example of a patient area. The mattresses are sanitized with "Jik"-- Ugandan bleach-- before the next person uses it. I think tomorrow I will go to the "high risk" ward... we'll see how it goes!

Miscellaneous pictures of wildlife:

The cows here are weird.


An up-close picture of a Marabou Stork! It's kinda ugly...


Until next time,
Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment